In the last few weeks, I’ve been at various homes where they had broken blinds or shades. The question always arises as to whether to repair or replace the window coverings. Here are some factors to consider.
- Price Paid Low- Did you pay a low price for your shades? If you bought blinds at a Big Box Hardware Store, or at a discount store, it may cost you more to fix them than to replace them. In that case- REPLACE
- Price Paid High- If you purchased a premium product, replacement can be very expensive, and repair can be a smart choice. Most of the higher end products have very expansive warrantees and the repair might even be covered by the manufacturer. In this case- REPAIR
- Age- How old are your blinds or shades? If they are quite old, parts may no longer be available for their repair. Or, your materials may actually be breaking down physically. Some manufacturers might refuse to repair aged window coverings. If your blinds or shades are not old, REPAIR. If they are dated, REPLACE.
- What’s wrong with the blinds? Did the lift cord break? If it is the type of lift cord that gets longer when raising it, REPLACE. New child safety guidelines mandate that cords be made child safe. There are lots of new options for cordless shades and blinds. Learn what they are and make a smart choice.
- More what’s wrong with them. The window fashions expert will be able to identify the problem and determine the cost. Some repairs are very easy and low cost, while others might require replacement. DETERMINE WHETHER TO REPAIR or REPLACE
- Can you do the work yourself? If you are the type to fiddle with things, then you might try fixing the window coverings yourself. This way, the costs are brought down due to not having to pay a window coverings professional to do the work. There are companies that can be consulted to find parts for the blinds and shades.
Kempler Design is located in Reno NV and serves the northern Nevada and Lake Tahoe regions with a mobile design showroom. Paul Kempler, its founder is considered a window fashions expert. Kempler Design has been featured in many prestigious projects, including the HGTV dream home in Lake Tahoe. Kempler Design works with homeowners as well as interior design firms looking for a local contact in the Reno/Tahoe area or is available for travel.